He represents clients in the health care field in their defense of medical malpractice, privacy, commercial, and other claims. His recent work for health care clients includes:
- Defending a hospital in a medical malpractice case in a two-week jury trial; at the close of all of the evidence, judgment was entered in favor of the hospital;
- Defending a hospital in a medical malpractice case; after filing a motion for summary judgment, the plaintiff dismissed the hospital with no settlement paid.
- Defending a health system in a mass tort action case involving tens of millions of dollars in damages; after discovery, the client was granted summary judgment.
- Defending a hospital in a lawsuit alleging defamation and tortious interference in connection with a contract between the hospital and a pharmacological product supplier; the hospital prevailed on a motion to dismiss.
- Counseling health care providers and insurers regarding the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Section 111 Reporting.
- Litigating privacy breaches, including allegations of HIPAA violations.
- Counseling health care providers and business associates on privacy and related issues, including preparation of HIPAA-complaint policies and procedures and training materials.
- Defending two surgeons and other health care providers in a medical malpractice case; after discovery, the plaintiffs voluntarily dismissed their case with no settlement paid.
- Represented a hospital in a medical malpractice case; on the eve of trial, plaintiffs voluntarily dismissed the hospital with no settlement paid.
- Drafting a health insurance company’s internal policy governing policyholder appeals.
- Acting as outside general counsel for health care entities and individual physicians.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2005) Assistant Associate Editor of the University of Baltimore Law Review, 2005
- Duke University (B.S., 2001)
- State of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Maryland-DC Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Exemptions and Immunities Committee, 2011-2014 (vice chair, 2011-2012); Young Lawyer Representative, 2010-2011
Practices & Industries
News & Insights
Honors & Awards